Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Motivation: The Dark Side

So last time, I talked about motivation (Check out "Motivation: It's What's For Dinner"), and today, I got a nice reminder of the motivation that no one likes to talk about, or even consider as a factor in personal motivation.  Let me explain...no, is too much, let me sum up:

My daughter's volleyball team lost a heartbreaker today.  Lost, in a tiebreaker, by 2 points.  Worse, she had the serve, to win, and it...sailed long, and then the other team's best player (basically LeBron with a ponytail) served out the match.  It KILLED me, and there's nothing worse than standing in a rapidly-emptying gym, holding your daughter as she cries and says "It's all my fault that we lost."  No, sweetie, it is NOT "all your fault", this is a team game.  Now let me find someone evildoer to punch on your behalf...

On the way home, we talked about how this does, indeed, feel awful, but I was trying to "coach her up", so I said, "Now, just USE this, and next time..."  She interrupted, "Yeah, next time I'll go back in time and not hit that stupid serve long."

My pre-teen Yoda.  She reminded me, so beautifully, why we TRAIN.

We train because of mile 9 of 13.1,  mile 20 of 26.2.
We train because "PR" does NOT mean "pretty reasonable".
We train because Soldier Field, Citi Field, and AT&T Park are NOT getting shorter.
We train because of the person we hear, running right behind us.

We train because, deep down in places that we don't talk about at parties, we FEAR failure.  We FEAR hitting the wall, we FEAR cramping up, we FEAR getting to the stadium, and not being able to climb the stairs (Urb reference, if you missed it, just move along, remain calm, all is well!)

So after her game, I dropped her off at home, went to the gym and did my circuit training, hungry and tired though I was.

Because, since I must be honest, I am DEATHLY AFRAID that the 35-year-old guy who ran the Urbanathlon three years ago was the best version of me, and he's dopplering off into the sunset.

Until next time,
Tom
2T4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment