Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Introductions are in Order

Since we're going on a bit of a journey together, I thought I should introduce myself.  If this seems gratuitous, given the fact that many of you found yourselves here by following a link via Twitter or Facebook, ask yourself the following questions:

1.  When was the last time you saw me in non-electronic form?
2.  When was the last time we had a conversation that didn't include either a phone or a keyboard?
3.  Is our time apart, covered above, greater than the amount of time it took the Chicago Blackhawks to win TWO Stanley Cups?  For the non-sports fans, was Miley Cyrus still Hannah Montana? (I have 2 daughters...DON'T YOU JUDGE ME!!!)

I see some of you nodding (I'm tight with the current administration, and you're sitting in front of a computer with a camera.  I saw you peek at the camera just now, too).

I have this idea (more of a nightmare, actually) that I'll easily be the oldest, least in-shape, least deserving "Men's Health MVP".  Basically, I'll be the Mark Moseley (1982) of this deal.  Go ahead, Google him...I'll wait....yep, a kicker.  So let's get this out of the way.  I am:

---38 years old
---married, 3 kids
---a teacher at a large private school in Memphis

I say these things so that you can understand where this blog is going.  I am NOT:

---going to write 5,000 words on the various types of stretching routines I do not do anyway.
---going to pretend I'm a model.  I do not possess monochromatic hair, "waxing" is something Daniel Larusso learned from Mr. Miyagi, and "manscape" sounds like something from the Flashdance soundtrack.
---going to act like training is my life.  I do LOVE to train, that is not a lie.  But I have about an hour, most days, for the whole routine, from lacing up to cool down.

Men's Health actually has been great as far as that goes.  Their workouts, typically gym/weight training, usually fit into that hour.  I will try to post my runs, via Nike Plus, to both Twitter and Facebook.  No promises on that, I'm usually busy wringing out my shirt from the sauna that is August here in the South.

If you come along for this fantastic voyage, I cannot promise you wisdom, or knowledge, or even Coolio (unless he sees that reference).  I can promise honesty, hard work, and a bit of humor.  We have about 10 weeks to journey together, from the brutal heat of Memphis to the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan.  Time to step up, and step off, into the great unknown...

Until next time,

Tom
2T4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment