Monday, July 22, 2013

Knock Knock

So it started in the parking lot of a McDonald's in Jacksonville...

About 8 months ago, I got an email from Men's Health magazine, looking for "Men's Health MVPs".  It sounded intriguing, but I assumed the target demographic was a bit more spry.  Nevertheless, I filled out the application, and promptly forgot about it...until January, when I found another email (which I almost auto-deleted, and if that isn't a word, it should be), notifying me that I had moved on to "Phase II" of the contest.  I answered more questions, sent a few pictures (which I thought would be my downfall, honestly), and again forgot about it...until I left Memphis for a Spring Break trip with my family and in-laws.  We were walking along the beach, waiting to board a cruise ship, when I was notified that I had been selected as a "Men's Health MVP".

Fast forward to last week, when an offer came to compete in the Men's Health Urbanathlon in October, and write a blog about my training and race experiences for Men's Health.  I have actually completed this particular race twice before, both times in the Chicago iteration of the event.  Now, for those unfamiliar with "the Urb," as I will henceforth call it, here's a quick primer:

Location:  Grant Park/Navy Pier/Lake Shore Dr./Museum Campus
Distance:  10.8 miles
Obstacles:  10 "stations"

I must admit, I am both excited and nervous about this opportunity.  Excited, because it gives me an opportunity to blog about something I enjoy (training for and completing an obstacle event).  Nervous, because I READ Men's Health, and let's just say that they either have the world's best Photoshop people, or the contributors (and I mean ALL OF THEM) are in rockin' great shape.  Comparatively speaking, well, my old saw about "round being a shape" is looking more accurate daily.

As the weeks turn to months, and the weather in Memphis goes from "can't breathe, too hot" to merely "holy monkey it's hot", I'll be sharing my training exploits, thoughts on preparation, and general musings on the event.  Right now, it's time to answer opportunity's knock, and take that first training step.

Tom
2T4:7


No comments:

Post a Comment